See & Do
From here you are within easy reach of the coastal towns of Cromer and Sheringham, the market town of Aylsham and the popular town of Holt with its quaint and specialist shops.
A nine mile trip takes you to Wroxham where you can enjoy the vast waterways of the Norfolk Broads. To really make a day of it you could take the Bure Valley Steam Train from Aylsham to Wroxham.
National Trust properties abound. Aldborough is situated midway between Blickling Hall and Felbrigg Hall. A short drive will take you to the Lutyens designed Sheringham Park and after a half hour drive you can visit Holkham Hall, or venture a bit further for a glimpse of the Queen at Sandringham!
Mannington Hall, close by, is well known for its walks & trails and beautiful gardens (including a wonderful collection of roses).
The historic city of Norwich is only half an hour south and is a popular shopping and cultural centre with theatres, cinemas, museums and churches, notably the Theatre Royal, the Castle Museum, and, of course, Norwich Cathedral.
If you are looking for all the fun of the fair then Great Yarmouth is for you, but if you prefer the quieter life, the bird and seal sanctuaries at Blakeney and Cley may appeal.
There are opportunities to fish at two private lakes nearby.
Whatever your tastes, you’re sure to find something to interest you in this fascinating corner of England.
Eating out and about in local pubs and restaurants
We shouldn’t forget to mention the abundance of country pubs and great restaurants!
- The Black Boys Public House, 500 meters (Sunday lunch and Friday night: fish & chips)
Great selection of local real ales.
- The Saracen’s Head, Wolterton (2 miles)
- Roughton Fish Shop, eat in or takeaway (3 miles)
- The New Inn, Roughton (3 miles)
- The Buckinghamshire Arms, Blickling (4 miles)
- The Black Boys, Aylsham (5 miles)
- Gate of India, Aylsham (5 miles)
- The New Forge, Thai English fusion, Aylsham (5 miles)
- Vernon Arms, Southrepps (5 miles)
- The Foundry Arms, Northrepps (6 miles)
- The Wheatsheaf, West Beckham (6 miles)